Below is a list of characteristics of a healthy relationship. This list can be used along with the “Evaluate Your Relationship” link to help you help you better understand your own relationship.
fun together more often than not
• Each enjoy spending time separately, with your own friends, as well as with each other’s friends
• Always feel safe with each other
• Trust each other
• Are faithful to each other if you have made this commitment
• Support each other’s individual goals in life, like getting a job or going to college
• Respect each other’s opinions, even when they are different
• Solve conflicts without putting each other down, cursing at each other or making threats
• Both accept responsibility for your actions
• Both apologize when you’re wrong
• Have equal decision-making power about what you do in your relationship
• Each control your own money
• Are proud to be with each other
• Encourage each other’s interests- like sports and extracurricular activities
• Have some privacy- your letters, diary, personal phone calls are respected as your own
• Have close friends and family who like the other person and are happy about the relationship
• Never feel like you’re being pressured for sex
• Communicate about sex, if your relationship is sexual
• Allow each other ‘space’ when you need it
• Always treat each other with respect
Remember, you have the right to be treated with respect. Let your partner know what your expectations and boundaries are for the relationship. Your partner needs to respect your limits and if they do not, then you may need to reevaluate the relationship.
For more information, please call the numbers below.